Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What I figured out this evening

I watched Dave Letterman this evening, and his guest was Bill O'Reilly. Their discussion gave me food for thought. I used to watch Letterman every night when I was in high school and through my first couple years of college. Nowadays I watch The Factor with Bill O'Reilly.

I think the difference is that I've grown up and I've started thinking for myself. Letterman used to be good enough for me. I just wanted to be entertained. Now I like my entertainment to have some substance to it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rev. Alan Kornacki, Jr. said...

I deleted an anonymous comment which said, "I think the only difference is that now you are having a nitwit tell you what to think!" But then I decided to post it back up here because, as usual, I gave it a second thought and decided I just didn't want to let it go.

It seems that someone missed the point of the exercise, which is that I now think for myself. I spent a lot of money on a college education that was supposed to teach me "critical thought". Instead I received an education in liberal thought. I've now seen both sides. I've now watched CNN, CBS, NBC, and FOX News. (I never liked ABC news.) Only one of those channels encourages me to think for myself, and it's not one with the letter "C" in the name. I don't watch Bill O'Reilly because he tells me how to think, but rather because he encourages me to think.