Thursday, November 11, 2010

HYMN: Through Faithful Preachers You Have Planted

Before I begin my shameless self-promotion, I offer the following thought. Today is Veteran's Day, the day we honor those who serve their country in the Armed Forces. These men and women spend long months (and even years) away from their families to prepare their minds and bodies for war. Whether or not they serve in conflict, they prepare so that they may fight and die for the freedoms we sometimes esteem so cheaply. John Milton wrote, "They also serve who only stand and wait." This is most certainly true. I would add the following: They also serve who only crouch and wait . . . to kick some @$$. (See picture above left.)

To you who serve in our Armed Forces, whatever that service may be: Thank you. To you who wait at home while your loved one serves: Thank you. You make me proud to be an American.


Now on to the shameless self-promotion.


The following text is based on the Matthew 13 account of the parable of the sower. Feedback is appreciated.


Through Faithful Preachers You Have Planted

1. Through faithful preachers You have planted
The Gospel seed in human hearts.
This tender nurture You have granted:
Baptismal water grace imparts.
The seed becomes a glorious bloom
Dispelling sin's dread gloom.

2. Let not this seed find ground too stony,
But let it bloom and branch and grow.
Nor let it find the ground too thorny,
Lest with the weeds this faith you mow.
And let me never fall away
Nor let this seed decay.

3. Let me not wilt beneath temptation,
But let this shoot grow straight and true.
Let Satan not snatch my salvation
Nor wither my own faith in You.
Your Word will grow a hundredfold--
So bounteous to behold.

4. Lord, keep me steadfast, true and humble,
And in Your Word increase my joy.
In persecution keep me faithful
That I Your seed may not destroy.
Your seed will bear rich fruit in me
Unto eternity.


(c) Alan Kornacki, Jr.
98 98 86
Tune: ICH WILL DICH LIEBEN (LSB 694)

No comments: