Monday, February 08, 2016

HYMN: Lord Jesus Christ, Exalted


I've struggled with what to do with a hymn for Palmarum, the Sunday of the Passion, especially since the hymn I wrote for the First Sunday in Advent deals with the entry of Jesus into Jerusalem with palm fronds strewn before Him. So today I decided I'd run with the idea of the Passion (though with a little of the palm theme in there too), with the Epistle, Philippians 2:5-11, as my focus, with the Father exalting Jesus. So I wrote that instead. Let me know what you think, and give me the feedback I need and appreciate.


Lord Jesus Christ, Exalted


1. Lord Jesus Christ, exalted
Upon the holy cross,
By sinful men assaulted,
Foretold to suffer loss:
Speak peace to all the nations:
"My death is your salvation."
Your death has set me free.

2. Oh, grant that I may bless you,
Give thanks on bended knee,
And evermore confess You,
O Christ, eternally.
Though You are God most holy,
You took my flesh and, lowly,
You bore my sins for me.

3. When nations cry with malice,
Let me not be ashamed
Or show myself as callous
To own Your holy name,
For You, O Christ, have claimed me
And as Your own have named me
By blood and water poured.

4. O Son of God, forsaken
To bear my shame to death,
Oh, let me not be shaken,
But grant with every breath
That I with palms may meet you
And now and ever greet you,
O Jesus Christ, my Lord.


76 76 776
Preliminary Tune: HERR CHRIST, DER EINIG GOTTS SOHN (LSB 402)
Occasion: Palmarum (The Sunday of the Passion)
Text: Philippians 2:5-11, Zechariah 9:9-12, Matthew 27

No comments: