Monday, August 24, 2009

Is this what you think you should hear on Sunday morning?


Apparently this decade sucked . . . at least, musically.

Pitchfork published its Top 500 Tracks of the 2000's. As I went through the list, I was struck by the Dionysian nature of the songs on the list: how the music lends itself to the instinctive, passionate, primal urges of the listener. The music is driven by the beat, rather than having the rhythm serve the music.

Sadly, this is the kind of pap that Contemporary Christian Music advocates would have us dancing to in our worship services. Don't get me wrong. I love music, and there's even a few songs on this list that I enjoy hearing--though the 90s were much better for popular music, and the 80s were better still. But this is not what belongs in the sanctuary of a church.

Unless, of course, the golden calf is being brought in, too.

No comments: