Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Since I can't think about theology all the time . . .


I wrote this to take a gentle swat at my wife, who finds Derek Jeter to be . . . overrated. Actually, that's probably nicer than she'd put it. She thinks they talk about him way too much, and she mocks sportscasters and their Jeter love, saying, "That Jeter. He's such a leader." If she so chooses, I'll let her say all this in her own words. But since I'm a huge Yankees fan, I felt it appropriate to share this as the Yankees attempt to win their 27th World Series. (Rough start, eh?) Anyway, here it is.

Dedicated to my wife.



Derek "the Captain" Jeter
(tune of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer")


You know Damon, Teixeira, Rodriguez, Posada-
Cano and Matsui, Nick Swisher, Cabrera.
But do you recall
The most famous Yankee of all?

Derek "the Captain" Jeter
Swings a very lively bat.
Fielding or stealing bases,
He moves like a jungle cat.
All of the "Red Sox Nation"
Used to boo and call him names.
They never thought poor Jeter
Could win those important games.

Then one late October Eve,
Torre came to say,
"Derek, from the leadoff spot,
Hit us a tape measure shot!"

Then all New York fans loved him,
And they named him M-V-P.
"Jeter, you're such a leader-
You've made Yankees history!"

No comments: