Wednesday, July 04, 2018

HYMN: My Eyes Are Downcast in My Sin

I have to admit, I’ve been stuck on the Eleventh Sunday After Trinity for a while now. I’ve had notes for this text for three months, and it wasn’t until this week that I’ve had any more than an opening line for this hymn text. In fact, I’ve written two texts I hadn’t even considered since I started my process for this particular Sunday of the Church year. Sometimes it just works out that way; inspiration can come when you least expect it, by means you wouldn’t usually consider. Anyway, beng unable to fall asleep for some reason, the progress I’d made on this text last night continued during the hours I’d normally be sleeping. (I hate it when my brain won’t shut up at night, but sometimes it’s useful, especially since I have today off.)

As I said, this text is for the Eleventh Sunday After Trinity in the 1-year lectionary. This is the text which covers the Pharisee and the tax collector, Luke 18:9-14. If you look carefully at what I’ve written, you will see the influence of the Introit, the Collect, the Old Testament text, the Gradual, and the Epistle, as these texts all line up quite well thematically with the Gospel.

Here it is. As always, feedback is love.


My Eyes Are Downcast in My Sin


1. My eyes are downcast in my sin.
O Lord, in mercy, hear me.
I have no righteousness within.
Nothing that would endear me.
I am a sinner, yes, the chief.
I cannot earn my own relief.
To You I make confession.

2. Sin lies in wait outside my door,
Seeking to rule and take me.
Humbled, repentant, I implore:
Savior, do not forsake me.
To you, my Lord, my Rock, I cry.
Helpless, to Your sweet grace I fly.
Oh, hear my supplication.

3. In love You hear and intervene.
You give Your life to save me.
Your holy blood has washed me clean.
Sin can no more enslave me.
Baptismal waters soothe my soul.
You speak the Word to make me whole.
You speak and I’m forgiven.

4. Lord Jesus Christ, the sinner’s Friend,
I trust Your pardon surely.
And when, at last, my life shall end,
My soul shall rest securely.
Then You shall raise me once again
To live within Your endless reign
And sing Your praise forever.


(c) 2018 Alan Kornacki, Jr.
87 87 887
DU LEBENSBROT, HERR JESU CHRIST (LSB 622)

Trinity XI


EDIT TO ADD: RIGHT-CLICK HERE to save and see an original tune and arrangement for this hymn, written by Theo Kavouras. Lovely tune!

No comments: