Tuesday, April 30, 2024

HYMN: As Incense Let My Prayer Before You Rise


Once again I find myself being productive at an official Synodical event, this time the Spring Professional Church Workers’ Conference of the Iowa East District of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod. Our presenter, the Reverend Mark Braden of Zion Lutheran Church in Detroit, Michigan, has been a compelling speaker on the divine liturgy. Nevertheless, a hymn text idea popped into my head, and it wouldn’t leave me alone. 

After completing the Phos Hilaron text, my mind moved on to the Psalm 141:1-4, 8 canticle in the Evening Prayer service. I will need a new tune for this text, though my brain already has a sort of a tune idea going. Anyway, here it is. Feedback is love.


As Incense Let My Prayer Before You Rise


(Refrain) As incense let my prayer before You rise,

Hands lifted as the evening sacrifice.


1. I call to You, O Lord; make haste to me!

Give ear unto my voice and hear my plea,

Oh, set a guard before my mouth, O Lord,

And keep upon my lips Your holy Word. (Refrain)


2. Keep me from evil deeds and guide my heart,

And from the wicked set Your child apart.

My eyes, O Lord my God, to You are turned.

I seek Your refuge; let me not be spurned. (Refrain)



10 10 10 10 Refrain

Working on a tune

Psalm 141; Evening Prayer; liturgical canticle


No comments: