Saturday, January 26, 2013

HYMN: I Thank You, Holy Father

My latest effort is more of a children's hymn written around Luther's morning and evening prayers. It's repetitive, but I don't think that's much of a problem, considering the nature of the prayers. I envision the first and third verses being sung in the morning, and the second and third verses being sung at night. It still needs at least a little work, but that's okay. Anyway, it's set to the same tune as "Jerusalem the Golden." Here it is.




I Thank You, Holy Father
 
1. I thank You, holy Father,
Through Jesus Christ, Your Son.
In nighttime You preserve me.
Now is the day begun.
O send Your holy angel
To guard me through the day.
Protect me from all danger.
Keep Satan’s pow’r at bay.

2. I thank You, holy Father,
Through Jesus Christ, Your Son.
Through daylight You preserve me,
But now the day is done.
O send Your holy angel
To guard me through the night.
Preserve my soul and body
From Satan’s awful might.

3. All glory, holy Father.
All glory, dearest Son.
All glory, Holy Spirit—
Eternal Three in One.
From dawn until the sunset
And then ‘til night is past,
Your holy name be hallowed
As long as life shall last.


© 2013
76 76 D
Tune: EWING (LSB 672)

2 comments:

Presbytera said...

This is on my list of songs for our youth choir to sing. I'll record it when we do it so you can hear it -- although you all ready know how it sounds : )

Rev. Alan Kornacki, Jr. said...

I'll be interested to hear it. It's one thing to hear it in your head and hear yourself sing it, but hearing someone else do it gives a better idea of how it works.