Thursday, June 13, 2019

HYMN: Be Still and Know Your God, My Soul

I've been sitting on a hymn idea for quite some time now (and boy, is my butt sore!). Sorry. I couldn't resist. Anyway, one of my favorite verses in all of Scripture is Psalm 46:10a, which says, "Be still, and know that I am God..." I've wanted to write something around this for some time. But when you think of "Be still, my soul; the Lord is on your side," or you think of Luther's excellent adaptation of Psalm 46 ("A Mighty Fortress Is Our God"), the idea of tackling those words, "Be still," can be daunting. But last night this thought for a metrical version of Psalm 46 popped into my head, and I ran with it. Your feedback would be appreciated. 

Click here to view a video of this hymn.




Be Still and Know Your God, My Soul


1. Be still and know your God, my soul:
Your present Help when troubles rear. 
Though earth should move or thunder roll,
When mountains shake, you need not fear. 

2. Be still and know your God, my soul,
For Christ, the Lamb, now dwells within. 
Baptismal streams have made you whole. 
His blood has bleached the stain of sin. 

3. Be still and know your God, my soul,
Though nations rage and kingdoms fall. 
Your Savior’s voice will soothe, console
Your trembling by His gentle call. 

4. Be still and know your God, my soul. 
The day shall come when war will cease,
When tools of war shall burn like coal
Before your Lord, the Prince of peace. 

5. Be still and know your God, my soul:
The God whom all the nations sing,
Whom all the earth from pole to pole
Exalts as Jacob’s Lord and King. 

6. Be still and know your God, my soul,
For Christ shall give you endless cheer. 
Your Refuge and your Strength extol. 
The Lord of hosts is with you here. 


© 2019 Alan Kornacki, Jr.
LM (88 88)
WENN WIR IN HÖCHSTEN NÖTEN SEIN (LSB 562)
Psalm 46; Cross and Comfort

3 comments:

Deb Pfeiffer said...

I love it, when do we get to sing it?

Unknown said...

Would love to hear the music. A sing-along what this Hymn

Rev. Alan Kornacki, Jr. said...

I recorded a video of this text being sung, my unknown reader.