Saturday, June 29, 2019

HYMN: Pay Heed, O Earthly Powers

I started writing hymns in 2009. I'd written a parody of the hymn "Ride On! Ride On in Majesty," and someone received it poorly because it was a parody, ignoring the truth it espoused and the error it rejected. So, despite my fear that my writing skills could not match up with those of the writers of my favorite hymns, I set pen to paper. "Lord Jesus Christ, Preserve Your Church" was the result: the first hymn I wrote without building on someone else's work, though I had previously re-written "It Is Well with My Soul" to explain why it's well with my soul. Since then, I've written over 90 texts for hymns.

As part of writing texts, I've assigned myself a project of writing a text for every Sunday of the Church Year in the 1-Year Lectionary. This week, I finally completed that project. I still have feast days to cover, and some of my texts are not as strong as I would like them to be. Nevertheless, I have reached a point that I never thought I would reach a decade ago, when I first attempted to write a text that might serve the Church's song.

The latest text, which covers the Propers for the Twenty-Third Sunday After Trinity, did not come easy. I've been wrestling with Matthew 22:15-22 for months, trying to figure out how to address the "Render unto Caesar" directive in an engaging way. This text, wrestled from my brain like Jacob wrestled with the Lord, is the result. I decided to hit the nail on the head, so to speak, expanding on our Lord's words in a Luther-esque fashion. Still, I'm not sure I've succeeded in providing an engaging text. (And I don't like the marriage of text and tune, but the temporary tune is the only one for that meter in Lutheran Service Book.) I'd appreciate any feedback you'd be willing to provide.



Pay Heed, O Earthly Powers


1. Pay heed, O earthly powers!
You citizens, give ear!
The King of kings has spoken;
The Lord of hosts is here.

2. Though citizens of heaven,
As pilgrims here you roam.
Serve God and serve the nation
Until He calls you home.

3. Give all you owe to Caesar.
All honor he is due,
For all who wield the scepter
Are God’s good gift to you.

4. Obey the godless ruler
As you would Christ the King.
Your service brings true glory
To Him whom angels sing.

5. Pray God for righteous princes
Who seek the good of all,
Who serve without corruption,
Repenting when they fall.

6. And render to your Father
What you in faith receive:
The righteousness of Jesus
By which God’s children live.

7. Sing praise to Christ, you people:
To Christ whom you revere.
Repent before your Savior
And kneel in holy fear.

8. Pay heed, O earthly powers!
You citizens, give ear!
The King of kings has spoken;
The Lord of hosts is here.


© 2019 Alan Kornacki, Jr.
76 76
Temporary Tune: CHRISTUS, DER IST MEIN LEBEN (LSB 919)
Occasion: Trinity 23; The Nation

No comments: