Tuesday, July 21, 2020

HYMN: Lord, Let Your Servant Now Depart

Not long after I started writing hymns, I thought it would be fun to write metrical versions of the canticles the Church uses in worship. That being said, it was hard for me to believe that I could do justice to them, which kept me from attempting to do so for a long time. I've written a text before concerning the Christ Child being brought to Simeon in the Temple, but it did not really cover the Nunc Dimittis, Simeon's song. I couldn't sleep last night, and somehow the first line of the text below popped into my head, and since I wasn't sleeping anyway, I went to work. After re-reading this morning what I wrote in the middle of the night, I decided it wasn't total garbage, so I'm sharing it with you. Feedback is love.

I didn't have a tune in mind when I wrote this, which is unusual. Lutheran Service Book doesn't have a lot of options for the LMD meter, so I chose the one which is in the public domain.



Lord, Let Your Servant Now Depart

1. Lord, let Your servant now depart
In peace which You alone can give,
For in the Christ, I taste and see
The promised Savior, and I live.
He is the one revealing Light
To gather wayward Gentiles near,
The glory of Your Israel:
The Church’s Head in flesh is here.

2. All blessing, honor, endless praise
To God, almighty Father, sing!
All worship, holy Jesus Christ,
Immanuel, the Savior King!
O Holy Spirit, Helper, Friend,
To you shall endless glory be!
O Triune God, all thanks to You
Both now and to eternity!

© 2020 Alan Kornacki, Jr.
LMD
O GROSSER GOTT (LSB 810)
Occasion: Nunc Dimittis

No comments: