Tuesday, March 02, 2021

Post 1000 and HYMN: Your Will, My God, I Know Is Best


For blog post 1000(!), I had been hoping to do something other than just post another sermon. Since 995, I've been trying to come up with something like a list of favorite or memorable albums a la the brilliant Rick Stuckwisch, or maybe something intensely personal (because we all know I like to talk about myself). But some muse--or, preferably, the Holy Spirit--bailed me out. I'd been holding on to a hymn title for a while, but I wasn't sure where to go with it. I've been struggling to accept what God places before me, especially in the loss of people who were terribly dear to me, but in other aspects of my life as well. I was recently inspired by the readings for the Second Sunday in Lent in the 1-Year Lectionary (especially the Canaanite woman crying out, "Have mercy on me!"), and then the worship service during today's Winkel, utilizing Psalm 34 and the Gospel for the Second Sunday in Lent in the 3-Year Lectionary, further inspired me. This hymn text is the result. It's a first draft, but I have to post a sermon tomorrow, so I wanted this to be post 1000. Feedback is love.

 

Your Will, My God, I Know Is Best

1. Your will, my God, I know is best.
Have mercy, Lord, I pray You.
The world has put me to the test.
I struggle to obey You.
I strive and hunger ev’ry day
To trust in You and face the fray.

2. Your will, my God, I know is best,
But still I face temptation.
The devil, fallen, evil pest,
Is seeking my damnation.
I beg You, Lord of angels, send
Your host my conscience to defend.

3. Your will, my God, I know is best.
I know, and yet I waver.
My soul, in need of holy rest,
Would seek Your gracious favor.
I pray, Lord Jesus, King of kings,
Oh, set my heart on higher things.

4. Your will, my God, I know is best,
Though for a time I sorrow.
Today I mourn, my soul distressed;
I rise with joy tomorrow.
Though death will stalk me in the vale,
The life You give me shall prevail.

5. Your will, my God, I know is best.
Your holy Gifts uphold me.
In blood-washed robes, forever blest,
You tenderly enfold me.
With flesh and blood, O Savior, feed
My soul and body: all I need.

6. Your will, my God, I know is best.
In crosses You sustain me.
Oh, come, Lord Jesus, be my guest.
From ev’ry sin restrain me
Until I rest, my labors done,
The endless Feast at last begun.


© 2021 Alan Kornacki, Jr.
87 87 88
MACHS MIT SER GOTT (LSB 688)
Tribulation

No comments: