Tuesday, August 30, 2022

HYMN: The Word Gives Life and Spirit


This is the second of the two hymn texts I wrote at a conference back in June. I wanted to take a little more time with this one, and I think it’s a better text for the delay. Written for the Easter Vigil project and based on the account of Ezekiel in the valley of dry bones in Ezekiel 37, it emphasizes the power of the Word of the Lord to give life. Feedback is love.

The Word Gives Life and Spirit

for the Easter Vigil

The Valley of Dry Bones—Ezekiel 37:1-14


1. The Word gives life and Spirit

To people dead in sin.

It draws us to the Church doors 

And welcomes us within.

Lord, breathe on Adam’s children,

That we may rise and live.

Send forth Your faithful prophets,

Your holy Word to give.


2. Ezekiel to the valley

Was led by God’s own hand.

Dry bones were all around him,

But none could live or stand.

The Lord said to the prophet,

“Can these bones live, O man?”

“You know, O Lord,” he answered,

“Through Whom all life began.”


3. “Proclaim My Word, O prophet:

‘Dry bones, I am the Lord.

My breath will move within you

By power of My Word.

On you will I lay sinew

Enclosed in flesh and skin,

And when I breathe within you,

Your new life will begin.’”


4. He spoke as God commanded,

And with a mighty sound,

The bones now came together:

A rattle most profound.

The sinew, skin, and muscle 

Comprised a human frame.

Yet breath was not within them;

No life the bones could claim.


5. “Speak once again, O prophet,

And say unto the breath,

‘Oh, come from every corner

And breathe new life from death.’”

The wind received the message

He spoke by God’s command.

The bodies, now an army,

With breath now rose to stand.


6. “These bones, O man, are Israel.

Oh, hear My children cry:

‘In exile we are hopeless;

Our bones are very dry.’

But I, their God, shall call them

To raise them from their graves

And bring my people homeward.

I am the Lord who saves.”

No comments: