Saturday, September 19, 2026

HYMN: How Blest, the Man Who Finds Delight


You would think that, with all the free time with which I find myself afflicted, I would be writing hymns constantly. Sadly, that has not been the case. My mind has been whirling lately with all sorts of not-useful thoughts, and that's not exactly conducive to good writing. 

Nevertheless, there's something in me that wants to write, even if my brain and heart have not been particularly cooperative. I've got a Psalter sitting on the shelf next to my recliner. While I haven't opened it as much as I should, I opened it recently to the logical starting place: Psalm 1. I was tempted to turn to others--Psalm 25, for example, though it seems my "enemies" have been winning victory after victory lately--but my obsessive compulsive tendencies sometimes make me take things in order.

I don't know that it's particularly good, and it doesn't really say anything new. But I wrote a metric version of it, and I share what I write, good and bad. So here's Psalm 1. We'll see if this is the start of a long-term project. 

Feedback is love.

How Blest, the Man Who Finds Delight


1. How blest, the man who finds delight

And meditates both day and night

In God's great Law. He will not stand

With sinners, that ungodly band.


2. He stands, unwithered, as a tree.

His work shall prosper gloriously.

Refreshed in that baptismal stream,

With sweetest fruit his branches teem.


3. The godless shall be blown away

Like chaff upon the judgment day.

They perish there before the Lord,

While saints receive their great reward.



LM (88 88)

Tallis' Canon

Psalm 1

No comments: