Monday, September 21, 2026

HYMN: Oppressors Rise to Trouble Me


Two hymn texts in a week doesn't make for a deluge, but it's an encouraging development. When I posted my metrical version of Psalm 1 last week, I said something about going in order. And I have started Psalm 2, for what it's worth. But I've hit a bit of a brick wall. I think I need to check out how others have handled their Psalm paraphrases. (Robin Fish Jr. comes to mind.)

So I moved on to Psalm 3. I had a free period during my substitute teaching assignment today, and I got a decent start on a text before I had to push myself to keep going. It's the first draft, but maybe you can help me tighten it up. It's set to the tune NUN FREUT EUCH, which we know best from the hymn "Dear Christians One and All, Rejoice." As always, feedback is love.

By the way, as I look at the Psalms, I'm endeavoring to find those places where they most clearly find their fulfillment in Christ. I hope to include that in my texts, much like Luther made Christ's presence abundantly clear in his great Psalm 46 hymn, "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God." It's one thing to faithfully paraphrase the source text; I'm endeavoring to interpret the source text while paraphrasing. Sometimes I'll do it fairly well; I hope you'll tell me when I've missed.

Oppressors Rise to Trouble Me


1. Oppressors rise to trouble me.

Their numbers are increasing.

They lift their godless mockery

With cruelty unceasing.

Yet You, Lord, are my mighty shield,

My glory and my help revealed.

My soul from fear is rescued.


2. They say from You I have no aid.

Their foolish claims incensed me.

By You their mindless wrath is stayed

Who set themselves against me.

So to the Lord I raised my voice.

He gave me reason to rejoice,

For from His hill He heard me.


3. In peace I lay me down to sleep.

I rise, for You sustained me.

My body, mind, and soul You keep;

In Christ have You obtained me.

I will not fear the evil horde,

For I belong to You, O Lord.

I rest in Your protection.


4. Arise, O Lord, and hear my cry!

Arise, my God, to save me!

Salvation comes from God on high.

No more may foes enslave me,

For You have struck my enemies

And drove the godless to their knees.

You bless Your chosen people.



87 87 887

NUN FREUT EUCH (LSB 556)

Psalm 3; oppression

No comments: