I was at the Professional Church Workers Conference of the Southern District of the Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod. If it weren't wrong to swear about frivolous things, I would swear that, if I were to attend a theological conference or convention more frequently, I would be among the most copious hymn writers ever to take pen to paper. Something about this environment just works for me. Maybe it's the theological environment that gets me thinking Scripturally and hymnologically (which I'm pretty sure is not a word), though I've written through some real stinker presentations in my time--not the case this time, especially with Pastor Cwirla presenting. Maybe it's just that I'm out of my daily routine. Whatever it is, I've done it again.
When I was at a Winkel last year, we prayed a prayer after receiving the Sacrament that was attributed to Johann Gerhard, and that Winkel's host tells me that the prayer is found in Gerhard's Meditations on Divine Mercy, pages 86-87. It begins with these words: "O God the Father, from now on, I cannot doubt the forgiveness of my sins because it is affirmed by my partaking of the price that was offered for my sins, the very blood of Christ." I kept the bulletin in my Everbook, thinking the text of the prayer might be good fodder for a hymn text. I have a bunch of these things in various folders, and I pull them out every so often to see if something springs forth. Lo and behold, yesterday, it did.
Here's my latest Lord's Supper text. For now, the suggested tunes include CONSOLATION (LSB 348, which is "The King Shall Come When Morning Dawns") and DETROIT (LSB 843, which is "Forgive Our Sins as We Forgive"). As always, feedback is love.
The Blood of Christ Has Paid the Price
1. The blood of Christ has paid the price,
The off'ring for my sin.
No doubt can grieve, for I receive
The life He died to win.
2. He dwells in me--my Savior, He!
In body and in blood
He lifts the meek, makes strong the weak
Through this angelic food.
3. I fear no foe nor Satan's woe,
For I with Christ am fed.
And He will keep His pastured sheep
From wolves the flock would dread.
4. I shall not shrink. I eat and drink,
And now I am refreshed.
The Spirit's aid in Christ has stayed
The weakness of my flesh.
5. All thanks and praise for all my days
I raise and raise again
To Jesus Christ the sacrificed
Forevermore. Amen.
CM (86 86)
CONSOLATION (LSB 348) or DETROIT (LSB 843)
Lord's Supper

No comments:
Post a Comment