I posted this on my Facebook page, but I wanted it in a more permanent place with appropriate tags.
I had a new experience this past Sunday, as I preached on Matthew 21:33-46 for the first time in 26 years as a pastor. This text is not in the 1-year lectionary, and in my limited time in the 3-year lectionary, apparently my senior pastor at the time, be it in Ohio or Iowa, was the preacher for this one.
This was not the easiest text for me to preach. This text is about how the messengers God has sent to His people have at times been abused and even put to death by those to whom the messengers were sent, ultimately putting to death even the Son of the Vineyard Owner, the Son of God. Too many of my brothers in the Ministry have been wounded, abused, and driven out by those to whom the Lord sent them. At times it feels like I'm standing with Elijah, who cried out to the Lord, "I have been very zealous for the Lord God of hosts; for the children of Israel have forsaken Your covenant, torn down Your altars, and killed Your prophets with the sword. I alone am left; and they seek to take my life."
God does not work the way man does. What earthly businessman would send repeated messengers when those messengers are abused and even put to death? But God is merciful and loving. Just this past Sunday He welcomed a new messenger into a congregation whose leaders drove out a faithful shepherd of my acquaintance. That flock, and even those leaders, still needs to hear the Word. And maybe they will treat this shepherd with more dignity and respect.
And for the shepherds, those messengers who stand in the stead of Christ by His command, they receive the same comfort Elijah received: rest beneath the tree of the cross, sustenance for the journey in the body and blood of the Savior, and renewed purpose and strength to continue on.
This is Pastor Appreciation Month. Dear friends, beloved of God, please welcome and love your pastors as the gift they are from God. Treat them well. Pray for them. Keep the promises you made to them at their Installation, just as they will endeavor to keep the promises they made. Love them with Christ's love (and maybe even some of your own). They are doing the work God sent them to do, and if you have a problem with that, take it up with God, with whom your real issue resides.


No comments:
Post a Comment